VE Day 1945 and sandwiches were the main order of the day during the street party celebrations, as was beer (that is, until it ran out in the pubs, well before the 10.30pm curfew!) But people wouldn’t have been celebrating the same as we do today. Wartime rationing meant sugar and butter were hard to come by, so this eggless fruitcakes would have been the next best thing!
1. Place the brown sugar, water, raisins, oil, cinnamon, and cloves in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil
2. Cook gently for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and let cool until the mixture is comfortably warm to your finger
3. While the mixture is cooling, preheat the oven to 180C / 350F
4. Grease and flour an 8×4-inch baking pan
5. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add them to the cooled sugar mixture, beating until no drifts of flour are visible and the batter is smooth. Then stir in the walnuts
6. Spread the mixture evenly in the baking tin and bake for 25-30 minutes
7. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a rack to cool completely if you want to add a good glaze, save back bit of the hot spiced water and mix with icing sugar, a drop of vanilla, and a pinch salt. Glaze the cake while hot.
READY IN: 1hr SERVES: 15
Connect with us
View by date
The UK Snooker Championship will see big-hitters Ronnie O’Sullivan and Mark Selby battling it out to take Ding Junhui’s crown… One of snooker’s most prestigious Triple Crown events, the UK Championship, started last week. It is the second-biggest ranking tournament after the World Championship. First held in 1977 in Blackpool, this year’s competition will …Read more...
As the winter season approaches, attention will soon turn to adorning the house during the busy Christmas period. And there is no bigger opportunity to nail decoration than ensuring that the Christmas tree radiates splendour throughout the home. So here are some tips on how to make everybody envious of your tree, this year. …Read more...
The Christmas countdown has begun… but just how much do you know about the festive season? Here are 15 questions to test your knowledge, so no Googling and don’t ask Alexa. It’s time to get serious… 1 Which carol features the line: “God and sinners reconciled”? 2 Who played Buddy in that festive classic, …Read more...
Coronavirus restrictions to be eased to allow people to mix with a wider circle of friends over Christmas… Yesterday, the government announced the easing of COVID restrictions over the Christmas period, which will have come as a slight relief to many who have struggled to envision a festive period this year. The easing …Read more...
Yesterday, Boris Johnson told the House of Commons that the three-tiered regional measures will return from the 2nd of December. He added that each tier will be toughened, but gyms and non-essential shops in all parts of England will be allowed to reopen. In a surprise announcement, the PM confirmed that spectators will be …Read more...